When creating campaign links, it can be easy to type an incorrect URL or link to a broken page which blocks website conversions and/or insights.
To prevent wasted ad spend and broken journeys, we check the landing page:
- Exists: is live and loads correctly
- Is fast: loads in under 4 seconds
- Has analytics: Either an Adobe or Google Analytics tag (code)
- Does not redirect: Redirects slow the page load and strip out analytics
Pro tip: URLs should start always start with https://www. when copying URLS into ad platforms. Without the prefix your server redirects an approximate web address to an exact address, costing valuable microseconds.
When do we validate the landing page?
We validate the URL when you enter the landing page URL on the Track>Create page AND every night at midnight once the campaign link has been created. This allows us to send notifications if a live campaign landing page stops working.
What should I do if I see a warning?
Warning alerts are guidance and won't prevent you creating campaign links. In some cases our warnings may not apply. Ignore:
- 'Does not exist' warnings IF you are creating a campaign link for a landing page which is not yet live
- 'No analytics' warnings IF you have to consent to analytics cookies before an analytics tag loads
- 'Redirect' warnings IF You have an important redirect which is required
We can tailor the landing page validation to work for you - email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Will landing page validation artificially inflate my analytics?
Although we load a page and check analytics load correctly, we cancel the request to the Google/Adobe Analytics servers so you won't see our validation bot as an extra user, session or clickthrough.
However this solution could inflate metrics captured by other tags or server-side analytics platforms. Reach out to email@example.com with any questions you have.